Different types of microfiber flat mops
After more than 40 years of development, the microfiber flat mops have become an integral part of the floor cleaning sector. And hundreds of variants have been derived to meet different needs. In this article, we try to roughly categorize the many microfiber flat mops based on their structure and materials. Hopefully, this will help buyers to better select the right product for their customers and the market.
Note: this article only focus on microfiber made mop in flat shape, microfiber string and tube mops are not included in the discussion.
Microfiber flat mops usually contains below parts:
Backing : the side attaching to mop frame.
There are 3 main backing styles: pocket backing, Velcro backing, tab backing style. Each backing style should coordinate with correspondent mop frame to use. Common fabric types used for pocket and tab backing includes oxford cloth, mesh cloth. Velcro backing can use inexpensive brushed cloth and more durable nylon Velcro loop tape.
Lining : inter layer between backing and front side.
For purpose of increasing mops’ overall absorption, retention, strength etc. Various material options includes non-weavon fabric (needle punch, spun bond..), sponge, microfiber towel.
- Non-weavon: cost-effective and waterproof, limit solution to penetrate into backing side of mop which might break the attachment between frame and mop backing. Therefore it better fit velcro backing style mops.
- Sponge: Good water absporption. Also soft inflated sponge add cushion between mop and floor, reduce the friction to ease operating force.
- Microfiber towel: Good water absorption and anti-microbe. More durable to meet repetitive high temperature laundering needs.
Front side: the face to contact and clean floor or other surfaces.
This is the most versatile part of a microfiber flat mop. To achieve particular feature and appearance, different knitting, weaving, sewing or tufting machine involve in process accordingly. Mainly we manufactuer divide them into two sector. The one called “braided fabric mop” has surface feel like microfiber towels which usually made on knitting machine. The other one called “microfiber fringe mop” which usually process with weaving or tufting machines.
Braided fabric mop:
Many like to subdivide these type of mop into low pile, cut pile, medium pile mops in industry. While “pile” can simply regard as yarn’s height or style above mop surface. Also, to follow tailored demand, extra features can add on. For instant, plastic made scrubber strips can be vertically or horizontally added on to increase cleaning ability for rough stains.
Based on how the fabric is knitted. We also can subdivide braided fabric mop into “weft knitted” and “warp knitted” fabric. Please refer to this video on Youtube to know “difference between welf and warp knit”. The most distinct feature to warp knitting fabric, is that weft knitted fabric is more elastic on width orientation. In order to eliminate elasticity and prevent thread circle getting loose, weft knitted fabric for making flat mop need to be glued on one side.
Microfiber fringe mop:
Base on yarn loop style, we subdivide them into “loop end” and “cut end” mops. Loop end fringe is usually considered to be more durable, while “cut end” fringe has more open end fibers which is more powerful on attract and trap micro particles. Tufting proceed mop is usually a microfiber fringe mop, this process enhance the structure and avoid extra sewing.
Production procedure to make a fringe mop includes:
- Bundling: combine dozes of strands of microfiber material into one yarn. A single yarn may contain hundreds of microfiber strands.
- Twisting: twisting two or more yarns and bind them together. The direction of twist is to the right, described as “Z” twist. While to the left, described as “S” twist.
- Yarn basketing: a process to prepare yarn and keep its bulkiness.
- Re-twisting: whenever a thicker yarn is needed, re-twist two or more twisted yarn into thicker one.
- Weaving / tufting: based on customer’s need, weaving into certain style.
- Sewing: sew up backing, lining and accessories.
- Inspection: check each semi-product is quality proven and meet customers’ needs.
Benefiting from “ twin lock” technology, the yarns bind with each other even stronger. This grants the product more durability. Our professional microfiber flat mop is lab proven withstand 500 times of laundering under 90℃ without degradation.
Edge of microfiber flat mop.
There are serging and binding(piping) two methods. Binding need extra fabric tape to fold over edge and sewing it on, while serging is a process continuously wrapping edge with yarn. Usually serging is easier and more effective for production. Binding need more labor forces and could add more durability on product.
Such as company information tag and color coding system tag. Which is optionally sewn on edge of mop.
Microfiber flat mop is highly customized product, each client desires unique solution to meet the market need. So the board between different types of microfiber flat mop is unclear. These features can be interchangeable and combined. For examples, there are pocket backing style mops also feature tab for more versatile use. Braided fabric mop can have sewn-on fringe. We can blend multiple material of fabric in one microfiber flat mop and so on and so forth.
On the other hand, precisely because it is difficult to classify microfiber flat mop, this article aim to start with explain the most basic structure of microfiber flat mop, to help client identify their needs faster, and efficiently analyze whether the potential supplier can produce products that meet their requirements.